Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Metals and alloying

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Scatter00x

Metals and alloying Empty
PostSubject: Metals and alloying   Metals and alloying Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 5:49 am

Question for all... what do we want to do with metals in this server? One thing that's always bugged me, is that Rusty, Copper, Dull Copper, are all better materials than Iron... Being a metallurgist by trade, this causes me much pain. I want to, at the very least, reorder these materials, and I'm wondering if there are any we can do away with entirely... If I were to rank them in their current form, I would go:

Old Copper
Dull Copper
Copper
Rusty
Iron
etc....

Old Copper, Dull Copper, and Rusty straight up don't make sense to me. When you smelt the ore from the ground, you get the pure metal, not a corroded form of it. Should we nix these entirely? Or do we want to replace them with something that makes more sense? Another possibility (this would be slick) is to figure out how to set an age timer on iron and copper, so that as they age, they turn rusty and tarnished forms of copper, and have stats diminish with those changes as well. And if the armor/weapon isn't repaired within some time of that degradation, then it will simply disintegrate. I like this idea the best. Might be a bear to script, but I don't know, we'll have to see.

Another thought I've wanted to implement, is alloys. Realistically, the strongest and best materials are never pure metals, they're some alloyed combination of different materials. What I am conceptualizing (and this is probably going to be nigh impossible to script...) is to have a menu that says add x bars of Shadow and y bars of Mythril, and you get x+y bars of some new material that has combined/averaged properties of the two. Even capping the system at only 2 different types of metal, and like 1-3 bars of each, the number of combinations would be through the roof. This would give RIDICULOUS customizability to player armor. I can see players going through and testing all different combinations, then testing the armors out to see which ones actually work better than others, and when they find a really solid alloy, they keep the recipe to themselves, or maybe sell it. I'm sure it is doable, I just don't know if it's something that is doable within our scope for this server, as it will probably be a massive project.

Anyways, comments appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Billpete002

PostSubject: Re: Metals and alloying   Metals and alloying Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 10:59 pm

an easy way would be renaming them to something fantasy.

If we stick with real world names (my preference and it looks like yours as well) we could take more realistic names for the armor types like bronze, copper, etc. and order them correctly.

and yes, I never understood why on earth they made "rusty" a ore type... Let alone made it better than Iron...
Back to top Go down
Bulldogc

PostSubject: Re: Metals and alloying   Metals and alloying Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 1:11 am

im thinknig a realistic view would make thigns easier on us, we can toss in some fantasticish ores aswell for special stuff possibly.
whatever we decide to do with them it shouldnt be difficult to mess with, however just altering existing ores would be faster/easier then adding new types on top of them
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metals and alloying   Metals and alloying Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metals and alloying
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: GENERAL CATEGORIES :: General Discussion-
Jump to: