HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

UPDATED MAP!!! PLEASE COMMENT!!!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Scatter00x

PostSubject: UPDATED MAP!!! PLEASE COMMENT!!!   Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:36 am

Update: The new map is hosted on CentrED for your viewing pleasure. It is also shown below for those unable to log in to centred.

Listed below are the improvements over the last version, followed by things that still need done.

-Shorelines fixed. They aren't perfect on the northern faces of landmasses, but the work we'll have to do to fix them is significantly less than doing them all from scratch.
-Starting islands have been enlarged, and they've had their resources balanced
-Several rough pixelated looking islands have been smoothed out
-Some other islands moved, turned, and resized for balance
-Mountains made to the correct height, with a random height map at the peaks
-Added a clearing to the southern mountains as a waypoint for a dungeon in that area
-Miscellaneous individual tiles were found and corrected.

Things that will still need done:
-Forests, jungles, and swamps will need the correct statics added to them. I'm posting on the program's forums asking for help on this one, as I'm otherwise having a lot of trouble with it.
-Foothills will be needed around the larger mountain ranges
-Dirt hills/mounds for burial barrows
-Anything else that you can think up

Ideas to think about:
-Where will dungeons be? Can we add anything now to assist with creating it later? (i.e. a pit, a path into the mountains, etc)
-Where will cities/towns be? Do we need to clear jungle or forests from those areas to make room?
-Other important locations? For example: The monestary. Do we want that on a hill? in the woods? etc.
-Any other lore related things, or random ideas you can think of, (like a random hermit in the mountains in the north, and a path snaking through the mountains to get to him.)

Please help with the ideas above. I have no problem making the map, but I want it to resemble the world that you guys are crafting the lore for. Without your feedback, that cannot happen, so please leave as detailed feedback as possible on this rendition of the map, along with any game-design ideas you might have for it. This current version is the result of 20+hours of experimenting, fighting, and working, so it deserves more than a 5 minute glance.

Thank you,
-Scatter
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Billpete002

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED MAP!!! PLEASE COMMENT!!!   Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:09 pm

My comments are in bold

-Shorelines fixed. They aren't perfect on the northern faces of landmasses, but the work we'll have to do to fix them is significantly less than doing them all from scratch.

The ice islands need some serious work the smallest blip is horrendous looking from the south side. it seems the water was deleted and all there is, is tons of overstretched ice...

-Starting islands have been enlarged, and they've had their resources balanced

They look good I would add some hills in when you do elevation around the mountainous areas so they are more realistic. The height of the mountains looks good as well.

-Added a clearing to the southern mountains as a waypoint for a dungeon in that area

The mountain/water sections are fucked up and need to be fixed - looks like a great area for a middle part to a dungeon.

Things that will still need done:
-Forests, jungles, and swamps will need the correct statics added to them. I'm posting on the program's forums asking for help on this one, as I'm otherwise having a lot of trouble with it.

Let us know when/if you get an answer on this - West and I can ask around as well.

-Anything else that you can think up

The swamp tiles to the south look really bad - I am not sure if this is the program randomness or what - this area needs a lot of work.

Ideas to think about:
-Where will dungeons be? Can we add anything now to assist with creating it later? (i.e. a pit, a path into the mountains, etc)

I personally don't like roads in this as most of the population never sets foot outside their village. I was thinking that each mountain range could have at least one mine/cave/dungeon - It would be really cool to have a pathway up a mountain to an elevation near the max 127 then we could make a 10+ level dungeon as you fight your way down deep into the earth - OR better yet you start out at elevation 0-5 and work your way up to the top of the mountain and we put a tower there and some sick boss (Sort of a Balrog/Gandalf fight!)

-Where will cities/towns be? Do we need to clear jungle or forests from those areas to make room?

From what I can see the two areas for towns look clear enough - the northern river area you and I talked about and then the peninsula - perhaps nuke the shrubs and flowers

-Other important locations? For example: The monestary. Do we want that on a hill? in the woods? etc.

Just north of the bog/barrows right next to the swamp - hey gotta keep those god fearing monks on their toes with undead right?

-Any other lore related things, or random ideas you can think of, (like a random hermit in the mountains in the north, and a path snaking through the mountains to get to him.)

That (the hermit) is a good idea. The other thing is adding forest for the elven area (the cleared circle) so its not a blatant area for something important. you could also make some small pathways in the huge northern mountains that would be cool for a "quick" way through the mountain pass - sorta like the fellowship of the ring where the fellowship must choose between the dungeon or the mountain pass - we could make the pass very dangerous but good rewards while the dungeon we can make a maze and also very deadly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Billpete002

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED MAP!!! PLEASE COMMENT!!!   Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:21 pm

just noticed the switching between light sand and dirt for the edges in the central bay area (visible on the map)

doesn't look right - I think we should stick to 1 type of cliff to the water. - Also perhaps some beaches would be nice. as "landing areas" - though there is no distinction in UO it would be visually appealing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kupala

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED MAP!!! PLEASE COMMENT!!!   Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:05 pm

Just wanna say that i over all love the map! Brilliant design and yes a few corrections but i couldnt find anything other then what you pointed out allready..

Good job mate!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scatter00x

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED MAP!!! PLEASE COMMENT!!!   Mon May 04, 2009 1:58 am

Finally figured out how to set up forests and statics and stuff in the program I am working with... Basically, that was one of the last hurdles I had to overcome with making the map. With that in mind, the near-final version will be available in the next day or so... I have had a lot of input from Skar on changes that I'm making, but otherwise haven't heard much from people. I understand people have been busy, and I appologize for not being or IRC at all, but lets put all that behind us, and try to get back the momentum we had going with this newest version of the map.

-Scatter
Back to top Go down
View user profile
West
Admin

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED MAP!!! PLEASE COMMENT!!!   Wed May 06, 2009 5:17 pm

I believe everything looks really good. I'm sorry I've been quite for a while but the last weeks have been quite busy for me.

You have done a really nice job Scatter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://west.forumotion.com
shit happens

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED MAP!!! PLEASE COMMENT!!!   Wed May 06, 2009 6:33 pm

Had to chop some trees? Razz

The map looks great, keep on the progress. As I can't see anything else than the pic that you post, I can't give any feedback really. No biggie!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UPDATED MAP!!! PLEASE COMMENT!!!   

Back to top Go down

UPDATED MAP!!! PLEASE COMMENT!!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: IN GAME RELATED :: The World Map-
Jump to: