HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

New computer!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Scatter00x

PostSubject: New computer!   Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:06 pm

I just ordered the new computer yesterday, and it's coming today. Should have the original up dedicated by monday at the latest. The old beast should amply handle all the UO hosting stuff, the only thing that would probably need upgrading is the internet connection, and I'll worry about that when we actually get enough players to need it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bulldogc

PostSubject: Re: New computer!   Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:40 am

i wouldnt worrie about it, when we start getting enough players that it might be a problem we should start looking into a dedicated server, most of it can be payed for with alittle addspace on the website or donations.

dont forget 2 must haves(for me especialy)
some kinda reliable remote desktop access, and ftp access. so we(I and you even) can upload scripts ect, reset the server if need be when your noy around, and maybe do some backups or something. also i wouldnt count out hack attempts on the server should people get an oppertunity so you should probly try and isolate that guy from any other compys on your home network.

so whats the new beast?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scatter00x

PostSubject: Re: New computer!   Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:59 pm

What's a good FTP and/or remote desktop program? I know you recommended one before, but I lost what it was... I want to get that set up this weekend.

The new comp is an Intel Core i7 2.66ghz (probably going to overclock it, not sure how much yet, I hear 3.5 is easily doable with my Mobo though.) 6GB tripple channel DDR3 PC 1600 RAM, NVIDEA GTX 265. That's the important stuff, only a basic 250GB HD for now, probably gonna upgrade to a SSD later for the OS. Also only a basic DVD R/RW combo drive, probably upgrading to blue-ray later too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bulldogc

PostSubject: Re: New computer!   Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:32 am

i use to use vnc(i think realvnc or somethin glike that is the full name), but the stock xp remote desktop software may do fine, never used it myself so i duno but worth a look at atleast.
for uploading i use to run cerberus ftp when i ran a small file server fer myself but a cs buddy of mine said to look into sftp or mozilla fileziller client/server, so i duno for sure there might wana poke around alittle.
same guy also said to look into http://www.stunnel.org/ for some sercurity, that that also may or may not be needed since he gets kinda paranoid sometimes. but again who know for sure im not a huge interwebs expert

you should see if u can still get into win 7 beta and give it a whil before deciding on an os
Back to top Go down
View user profile
West
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New computer!   Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:12 pm

Great news Scatter, congratulations Smile

And yes, we shouldn't really worry about the internet connection at the moment.

However, good to have a computer soley dedicated to the shard!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://west.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New computer!   

Back to top Go down

New computer!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: GENERAL CATEGORIES :: General Discussion-
Jump to: