HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

NEW MAP! PLEASE COMMENT!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Scatter00x

PostSubject: NEW MAP! PLEASE COMMENT!   Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:39 am

This is a combination of Tikks two maps. Still needs a lot of work, but in the meantime I need advice/ideas/criticism etc. What do you think of the overall layout? Do we like having a lot of little islands packed together like that? Do we want to spread them out some more? What should go on the other big islands? Mountains? forests? jungles? Do we want a desert anywhere? or snow? Thoughts/comments/criticisms all greatly welcomed.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
kupala

PostSubject: Re: NEW MAP! PLEASE COMMENT!   Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:57 am

Looks good, dont know what you guys have thought on dwarves.. is it possible for them to get a huge mountin area with snow for themself? Their "Landmass" sort of speak ?

I love the idea with small islands packed together =) Keep up the good work dude !!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Billpete002

PostSubject: Re: NEW MAP! PLEASE COMMENT!   Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:22 am

Feel free to add swamps, mountains, snow - I would stay away from desert as this is all in the north/ temperate - the desert expansion will be in the works for another map (think Russia to Baghdad!)

what you can make are some hills as well - think barrows for old viking kings.

If you can script the amount/type of trees - then you could make pine forests or a entire Yew tree forest with a glad in the middle.

As for the dwarfs you can give them a mountain range to the north in the snowline.

also I would add more islands lots of islands is a good thing - perhaps link the 2 east/south continents so there is a larger body of land to invade and colonize at a later point in the game.

I would look into England and Nordic terrain as well as you can do A LOT with just tree/hill/mountain/snow/swamp - IIRC Denmark has some really nasty swamps there viking sacrifices took place - so you could certainly make expansive bogs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scatter00x

PostSubject: Re: NEW MAP! PLEASE COMMENT!   Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:14 pm

More thoughts...

The scatterings of islands are small... REAL small. As in I think the starting islands are maybe only on the order of 50-100 tiles across. We're talking smaller than britain. Unless we plan on starting people with boats, I'm gonna go back and make them a bit bigger, because there is nothing you can do with that little room. Also, a lot of the little islands really don't do much aside from just being decoration, as many are 5-10 tiles across, too small for most houses even. I tried in the original rework of the map to buff most up to be in that 5-10 range (some were 3-4) but going forward, how useful do we want all the islands to be? I would imagine we'd want most of the islands to have some use or another. To really be able to put spawns on an island though it should really be 20+ tiles across at a minimum. Do we like the thought of having these little decoration islands? Or should I combine some of them together to make more larger useful ones?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shit happens

PostSubject: Re: NEW MAP! PLEASE COMMENT!   Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:15 pm

Looks good.

Personally, I'd much rather go with the idea of having a small world map, richly filled (with RP/seer run quests for instance), than a big world map where everyone just wonders off and will eventually whine about automatic transport. (Much much like in Grimmwold.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scatter00x

PostSubject: Re: NEW MAP! PLEASE COMMENT!   Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:16 am

Alright, new plan... Going back to the idea talked about before... I am now taking the upper left corner (the most complete area of the map) and moving it into the Malas map, which is much better suited to a small community to start. Yes, we already talked about this, I concede now that it is the smarter path to persue. I'll have the rough map up later tonight probably.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bulldogc

PostSubject: Re: NEW MAP! PLEASE COMMENT!   Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:21 am

dont forget dead space for dungeons
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scatter00x

PostSubject: Re: NEW MAP! PLEASE COMMENT!   Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:34 am

Ok, didn't get as much done tonight as I wanted to (silly WoW commitments.) But this is where it stands as of the work I got in this afternoon. Still not sure what to do with the big plains on the west of the larger island. I have some mountains in the north for the dwarves, some forests in the south for the elves (actually using jungle here, and forest elsewhere.) Added a swamp, and started roughing out some fjords. Can't have vikings without Fjords after all.

Edit: Bulldog, yes I did leave space for dungeons on the right, though I was wondering if it might make more sense to devote the smallest map solely to dungeons, and keep the other 4 maps devoted to the world? dunno how painful the teleporters are to do. Thoughts?

Again, comments please!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kupala

PostSubject: Re: NEW MAP! PLEASE COMMENT!   Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:15 pm

Will the northern parts be reserved for dwarves? Sorry to bring it up such it feels like a really small matter but as much as i know, the better Lore i can write upon them..

The map itself seems really neat though...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shit happens

PostSubject: Re: NEW MAP! PLEASE COMMENT!   Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:43 pm

kupala wrote:
Will the northern parts be reserved for dwarves? Sorry to bring it up such it feels like a really small matter but as much as i know, the better Lore i can write upon them..

The map itself seems really neat though...

I don't want to impede on allt he work you guys do, but here's another one of my rants (j/k)

What about going the non-cliche way and moving the elves up north, and the dwarves down south?
Personally I'm getting a bit tedious with the general cliché folklore around elves and dwarves.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scatter00x

PostSubject: Re: NEW MAP! PLEASE COMMENT!   Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:15 am

Mine is not to reason why, mine is but to do or die... I'm trying not to get involved in lore too much. If from a lore stand-point, we want it switched, I can do that... I am simply the instrument by which the map is made.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kupala

PostSubject: Re: NEW MAP! PLEASE COMMENT!   Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:49 am

Well i love the map, i love that it is "stereotypical" cause stereotypes = simple and easy for everyone to understand..

My vote (red on another topic from shit happends) is that to keep the cold, harsh, bitter dwarven areas up to the north.. Elves to the south perhaps and trolls somehwere in the middle ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shit happens

PostSubject: Re: NEW MAP! PLEASE COMMENT!   Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:31 pm

kupala wrote:
Well i love the map, i love that it is "stereotypical" cause stereotypes = simple and easy for everyone to understand..

My vote (red on another topic from shit happends) is that to keep the cold, harsh, bitter dwarven areas up to the north.. Elves to the south perhaps and trolls somehwere in the middle ?

Cliché shard settings also attract simple, rude players. Making off-beat rules on as much as possible will require people to put effort into their roleplay in such a way that "you are doing it wrong" situations are avoided.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bulldogc

PostSubject: Re: NEW MAP! PLEASE COMMENT!   Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:36 am

if u want non starndard just reverse the poles of this world, up is south down is north, and blam no remaking of the map
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kupala

PostSubject: Re: NEW MAP! PLEASE COMMENT!   Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:47 am

Good idea bulldog. and i can do agree on swapping dwarves to the souths as its generaly colder the more far south you come.. Take North Pole vs South Pole for example Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shit happens

PostSubject: Re: NEW MAP! PLEASE COMMENT!   Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:28 pm

Bulldogc wrote:
if u want non starndard just reverse the poles of this world, up is south down is north, and blam no remaking of the map

Then perhaps make east or west "up". Make the lore that the elves are an explorational race and the dwarves keep to their cold mountains. And for one or another reason the elves found it more logical that east/west should be the top of a map..

Break the clichés man, after all these years it's just not worth it for players to get into another generic shard..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scatter00x

PostSubject: Re: NEW MAP! PLEASE COMMENT!   Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:09 pm

Ok, I'll play with flipping the map around. =P

Here's where I stand... I aim to have the first complete draft of the map done by the end of this weekend, and have it up for review. By this I mean it will be available for viewing in CentrED. At that point, I'm going to leave it up for a week or so, and let people poke at it, and give me as much feed back as possible. During this time I'll be making all the commented corrections, and will hopefully have a finalized map up a little over a week from now. At this point, everyone that is going to help with decoration gets onto CentrED and starts building houses, dungeons, decorations, etc etc. This will really give us an idea of what the starting areas will look like, what starting gear should look like, and will give Bulldog and I a place to start with modifying scripts.

I'll be away from my main comp for the weekend, but I'll be in touch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bulldogc

PostSubject: Re: NEW MAP! PLEASE COMMENT!   Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:20 am

people need to be runnig around looking for glitches in that time frame also, missing tiles and whatnot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
West
Admin

PostSubject: Re: NEW MAP! PLEASE COMMENT!   Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:18 pm

Hmm, you get away for 1 or two days and the forum is overloaded with new posts.. *Grins*

Concerning the map... It looks really good Scatter. Keep it up.

The Elven, Dwarven issue. It dosent really matter from my point of view if you switch their homes. The important thing is the structures of their cities rather then where they lies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://west.forumotion.com
Scatter00x

PostSubject: Re: NEW MAP! PLEASE COMMENT!   Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:21 pm

Sorry for being absent for the weekend, family stuff around the holidays kept me tied up more than I'd planned for. As such, I didn't get any time into the map. I should be getting to that tonight so tomorrow morning you all should be able to log in (to CentrED) and see the world. I'll post here tonight if for any reason that won't happen, but barring a freak power-outage, I don't see that being likely.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scatter00x

PostSubject: Re: NEW MAP! PLEASE COMMENT!   Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:32 am

Newest map, for those unable to log into CentrED to view it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
shit happens

PostSubject: Re: NEW MAP! PLEASE COMMENT!   Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:15 pm

eeeexcellent! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scatter00x

PostSubject: Re: NEW MAP! PLEASE COMMENT!   Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:24 pm

Newest map, with starting islands enlarged and circled.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NEW MAP! PLEASE COMMENT!   

Back to top Go down

NEW MAP! PLEASE COMMENT!
Page 1 of 1