Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Map [0.2.1b] - 12th March

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tikk

The Map [0.2.1b] - 12th March Empty
PostSubject: The Map [0.2.1b] - 12th March   The Map [0.2.1b] - 12th March Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 8:07 pm

Uptaded 20 March!
As you can se, I've added forests and mountains across the isles, but my work is not done yet. Keep in mind this is a pre alpha version, its nowhere near done yet. Some isles lack forestation and all off the map (expect the yellow parts) lack planning for structures.

I've marked the starting isles for the 3 tribes in red and the 3 major "raiding" spots in yellow. Several raiding spots will form once I get the basic layout of the map settled (please se the previous versions of the map). Its a slow progress, creating a map. And as I told Skar over IRC it will save a lot of time if we pan out the basics first. The program I will use to generate the map can place any static (at random) on the map. This means we can adjust the look of forests, plains/grassland, tundra and well any kind of terrain you like to se in game. Even things like density of trees is possible.
The downside is, we need to have a good grasp of what every single area should "contain". I know its a rather fluid concept, but trust me it will save us hours of work.

The Map [0.2.1b] - 12th March Mapver-0_2b

---------------------------------------------------------------

Updated 19th March!
Latest version of the map. I've added forests and mountains on some isles.
The Map [0.2.1b] - 12th March Mapver-0_2a

---------------------------------------------------------------

7th March:
Allright.

I've managed to create a size and shape that I think might be interesting. I'll keep updating this post with new a picture instead of posting reply after reply as progress continues.

A few things to note: I've begun considering diffrent regions, landmarks and hotspot locations. They are, atm, crudly marked at the map with red text. Feel free to comment on their placement or the idea behind them.

The general idea was to have diffrent areas with resources (as we discussed the starting points wont have everything) and the clans will have to compete for the control, or plunder them.
As of now I have no clue what kind of resource they will have, nor made any desicions on what the hotspots should contain (in terms of NPCs/mobs/structures/whatnot). Its just a list to help keep track of things. Suggestions demanded!
Twisted Evil'

The Map [0.2.1b] - 12th March Panaiaabp

1. A tradepost/hamlet? Would work as the last outpost and passage to the icy norths.
2. An abbey might be suitable. Does it sometimes contain badass knights for protection?
3. Fishing village/trade outpost.
4. A dark, dense forest. Monsters probably. Rare reagents?
5. The arrow indicated this is the way to the tundra. Expansion prolly

A. Clan village
B. Clan village
C. Clan village

The clan villages have been spaced out somewhat, but still lie quite close together.

** Indicated an isle that has a resource of modest quantity
*** Subsequently, an isle with rich resources

All the other isles should contain something of value, but not a lot (in quantity). It should still be possible for the smaller isles to have something realy valuable, just very rare.

Bombard me with suggestions, comments, critizism and ideas!

Here's a very basic sample of the idea I had.

The darker shade is the part of the map that will be released first. It will be packed with isles and is where the players live.

Its just a general shape so far... Thoughts?

Last edited by Tikk on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:16 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
West
Admin
West

PostSubject: Re: The Map [0.2.1b] - 12th March   The Map [0.2.1b] - 12th March Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 8:09 pm

That looks good in my eyes Tikk! Then we can expand it alot if we need to Smile
Back to top Go down
https://west.forumotion.com
Billpete002

PostSubject: Re: The Map [0.2.1b] - 12th March   The Map [0.2.1b] - 12th March Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 8:13 pm

looks good Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tikk

PostSubject: Re: The Map [0.2.1b] - 12th March   The Map [0.2.1b] - 12th March Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 9:26 pm

The Map [0.2.1b] - 12th March Ianpnaabo

Some progress to let you se the isles...

The 3 "blobs" are where I thought to place the 3 clans starting isles. They are not shaped yet
Back to top Go down
West
Admin
West

PostSubject: Re: The Map [0.2.1b] - 12th March   The Map [0.2.1b] - 12th March Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 9:30 pm

Looks great Tikk! Keep on the good work!
Back to top Go down
Tikk

PostSubject: Re: The Map [0.2.1b] - 12th March   The Map [0.2.1b] - 12th March Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 12:09 am

Some small progress...

The Map [0.2.1b] - 12th March Canapaabp
Back to top Go down
West
Admin
West

PostSubject: Re: The Map [0.2.1b] - 12th March   The Map [0.2.1b] - 12th March Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 3:51 am

It looks really great Tikk! Getting better and better. Awesome work there. I'll fetch some sleep now but I will comment it more tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
Bulldogc

PostSubject: Re: The Map [0.2.1b] - 12th March   The Map [0.2.1b] - 12th March Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 6:18 am

just someting to think about while drawing in the map, you need to leave dead space somewhere, in a corner or on the edges or something for underground tunnles and whatnot along with a small area for testing(green acres ish type place)
Back to top Go down
Tikk

PostSubject: Re: The Map [0.2.1b] - 12th March   The Map [0.2.1b] - 12th March Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 4:30 am

Please keep posting your input/rants about the map and how it looks.

A few things to keep in mind.
1. I need to hear what Im doing wrong. Nothing is unwelcome Wink
2. Suggestions for hotspots, please give me these.
3. The isles, I need suggestions on how to improve them.
4. "The rest of the world." This ties into the starting locs of "elder races"
5. Modifications! Please, advice me what you think should go and what should stay.
6. Roads. Do we need roads between for example the 2 towns and the abbey on the mainland?
7. How big would you consider a starting village should be? 3 houses? 4?
8. A raiding target (and I am not speaking of the BIG THREE), how many structures?
9. Do we need/want pirate or bandit nests?
10. How many "neutral" tribes should I make room for? 6? They should be located on the isles, but generaly poorer than the "actual" 3 tribes.

Give me praise if you like, it allways warms me. But more so, tell me what Im doing wrong. I could do this entire basic map myself, but thats not my intention. Give me hell guys! Smile We will save a lot of time by making the map "almost" perfect from the start (and I mean before we get to work on structures/towns and statics in general).

Peace!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Map [0.2.1b] - 12th March   The Map [0.2.1b] - 12th March Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Map [0.2.1b] - 12th March
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: IN GAME RELATED :: The World Map-
Jump to: